Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 604-E cones into 604-G baskets?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member klett's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a pair of 604-8G's and a pair of Mastering Labs crossovers - these are in a pair of studio monitors called Big Red's.

    I am TOLD by one of the people who were involved with the design and sales of Big Red's that the original speakers were 16 ohm - which I guess were E's.

    I know that the studio where these lived had several pairs of 604's they swapped in and out of the cabinets when engineers (who are probably deaf now) blew them so...

    IF these crossovers are indeed designed around a 16 ohm speaker would it be possible to use a 604E cone/voice coil in a 604G

    also - as I was looking around on the web I was trying to find a simple list of the versions of 604 and what changed from one to the next and had no luck. I have a number of 604's of various vintages in utility cabinets and would like to know the history a little better.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    John,
    Check the folowing board posting for some 604 history:
    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...c&f=3729&t=855
    Jeff

  3. #3
    Inactive Member GuyL's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2004
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    John,

    I own a pair of "Big Reds" with the ML crossovers. The drivers in mine are 604E2 which have the same 16" basket of the 604G so I guess that you can replace the 8 ohm cones/diaphragms with 16 ohm ones.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes you can get 16ohm voice coil cones & put them in the 8G baskets without worries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.